Designed in 1955 by Samuel B. Wilansky, a local store owner on Water Street in St. John's. It was registered in the Court of the Lord Lyon in 1973. The white, gold, and yellow come from the province's official anthem, "Ode to Newfoundland":
The green represents the pine forests, the white represents snow, the brown represents the Iron Isle, and the red represents the British Royal Standard. ITI 1543.