Macleod of Harris

Sometimes called 'hunting' or Green MacLeod. This design appears in many early collections including Logan's 'The Scottish Gael' (1831) and Smibert (1850). The sett has its source in the MacKenzie tartan used in 1777 by John MacKenzie called Lord MacLeod when he raised a regiment called 'Lord MacLeod's Highlanders'. The family claimed to be heirs of the last chief of Lewis, Roderick, who had died in 1595. (Tartans of Clan MacLeod. Rhuairidh MacLeod (1990).) This tartan was approved by the Chief Norman Magnus, 26th Chief, in 1910 and adopted by the clan society. ITI1583 STR 2629